Uganda’s Ministry of Health reported another 11 suspected Ebola cases identified in the country’s Mubende district on Tuesday. Of these, the ministry recorded one possible Ebola-related death, a one-year-old, it said in a statement released Tuesday evening.
Samples for the one-year-old and the 10 suspected cases undergoing isolation are being tested at the Uganda Virus Research Institute, the ministry said.
So far, 11 suspected cases, one confirmed case, and six cases considered probable were identified as of Tuesday night.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday that Uganda has declared an Ebola outbreak after a case of the relatively rare Sudan strain was found in the country. That case was confirmed after testing a sample from a 24-year-old man in Mubende district, who the ministry said died after showing symptoms.
Ugandan health authorities have investigated six suspicious deaths in the district this month.
According to the WHO, the country has experienced four Ebola outbreaks that have left more than 200 people dead. The deadliest was in 2000.
Uganda borders the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which is suffering a resurgence of Ebola following this year’s outbreaks.