The summer transfer window is closed for the major European leagues. However, with one eye on January, there are plenty of rumors swirling about who will be moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, arrivals, departures and, of course, done deals!
The 23-year-old Portugal international forward is currently contracted to AC Milan until 2024, but after Chelsea looked to make a move for his signature towards the end of the summer transfer window, the Rossoneri has wasted no time in starting contract talks on a new long-term deal.
Having contributed eight goals in the most appearances in all competitions this season, Leao is reported to want a deal before the World Cup kicks off in November to avoid potential disruptions. The Serie A champions are willing to offer him a pay rise on his current deal worth in the region of €6 million per season, but are understood to be looking for a total closer to €7m.
AC Milan were previously reported to be seeking a fee of €150m, his release clause, before they entered into talks over a possible move.
13.00 BST: Borussia Dortmund want at least €150m from any club that wants to sign Jude Bellinghamsaid The Athletic.
Bellingham, 19, is one of the best young players in the world and has a contract until 2025, which (unlike Erling Haaland’s) has no release clause.
Real Madrid, Liverpool and Manchester United are vying for the England midfielder’s signature and there are reports he could opt to leave Germany next summer.
11.50 BST: Two USMNT stars made big moves to the Premier League this summer but are excited for November.
10.44 BST: Captain of Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo has said he will not retire from international duty after the World Cup and wants to compete at Euro 2024.
The Manchester United forward said “the road is not over” for him when speaking at a gala hosted by the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) on Tuesday for becoming the top men’s international goal-scorer in September 2021.
“I am proud to receive an award of this magnitude,” said Ronaldo. “I never thought that one day I would achieve this. I am grateful to everyone who has been important in my career. The road is long, but I want to say that my road is not over yet. [You’re going to have to] take a little more load from Cris [Ronaldo.]”
Since making his Portugal debut in 2003, Ronaldo has scored 117 goals in 189 international games, surpassing the 109-goal record set by the former Iran striker. Ali Daei
A five-time Ballon d’Or winner, Ronaldo captained Portugal to Euro 2016 glory and the 2019 Nations League.
“I hope to be part of the Federation for a few more years,” he added. “I still feel motivated, my ambition is high. I’m in a team with young people. I want to be part of this World Cup and the European too; I’m going to assume that right away.”
10.22 BST: El Mundo revealed some of the requested contracts made by Lionel Messi to renew his deal with Barcelona in 2020.
The Spanish newspaper claims it has had access to documents and emails showing Messi wants a three-year deal, a €10m signing-on bonus, guarantees that he will be paid deferred wages, the reduction of his release clause and a private box. for him and Luis Suarezfamilies at Camp Nou.
Later that same year, after an 8-2 defeat at Bayern Munich, Messi filed a transfer request via a burofax, a method of recorded delivery, but it wasn’t until 2021 that he left for Paris Saint-Germain in a free transfer.
In 2021, he agreed the terms of a new contract with new president Joan Laporta, although Barca could not register it in LaLiga, while his requests last year were never greenlit by former president Josep Maria Bartomeu.
Messi wants to extend his contract until 2023 with a unilateral option to add another year. He also wants to reduce his release clause from €700m to a symbolic €10,000.
He was prepared to forego 20% of his fixed salary (which was around €70m annually at the time) in 2020-21 as the club continued to deal with the fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic, but he asked to be paid all deferred wages. come back in the future.
According to the report, Messi also wants guarantees that his brother Rodrigo, an agent, will be paid what the club owes him and that his salary will be adjusted accordingly in the case of any tax increase, besides among other things.
09.33 BST: Real Sociedad midfielder Martin Zubimendi is Barcelona’s No.1 transfer target Sergio Busquets next season, according to various reports in the Catalan media.
Zubimendi, 23, has a contract with Anoeta until 2025 and a €60m release clause, which La Real are trying to increase, according to Mundo Deportivo. He is set to make his 100th appearance for Real Sociedad after the international break and has also been capped once by Spain, although he was not included in Luis Enrique’s latest squad.
Barca are preparing for life after Busquets, now 34 and out of contract next summer. Diario Sport reports that he wants to leave when his deal expires, with Major League Soccer’s Inter Miami an option for the Spain midfielder.
09.11 BST: Netherlands centre-back Matthijs de Ligt he believes he made the right move to join Bayern Munich for €77m from Juventus in the summer.
The former Ajax star left Barcelona and moved to Juventus in 2019 for €75m and made 117 appearances for the Turin giants. But this summer, the 23-year-old signed a five-year contract with the Bundesliga champions.
“The move to Bayern Munich for me is a step up in quality in terms of the team,” he told Sky Italy. “This is a club that has the ambition to always win the Champions League. At Juventus, that ambition is smaller.
“I felt it was the right time to make that leap in quality and I did it. I was happy at Juventus but Bayern is closer to the philosophy of the national team.”
08.42 BST: Atletico Madrid forward Alvaro Morata has revealed he is close to joining Barcelona in the final January transfer window.
Morata, who is playing on loan at Juventus from Atletico Madrid, has even spoken to Barcelona coach Xavi about the possibility of a move to Camp Nou.
“There are options,” said Morata, who returned to Atletico this summer after a two-year loan at Juve. “I talked to Xavi, we talked about football and other things. It was a good feeling to talk to Xavi, the coach and a former player I looked up to when I was young.
“I had four or five possibilities to leave in the winter transfer window but in the end, the coach of Juventus [Massimiliano] Allegri wants me to stay. Allegri wanted me to stay at Juventus and told me he wanted me to play [Dusan] Vlahovic. Also, Atletico have the last day.”
08.00 BST: Real Madrid winger Marco Asensio remained tight-lipped on his future amid reports that Barcelona were interested in him.
Asensio, 26, has not signed a contract extension at Madrid whose deal expires next summer.
Asked if Barca contacted him, Asensio said Can handle it: “Honestly, I don’t know. I’m focused on the present, right now and I’m here to give everything to the national team and then to my club. I haven’t thought about it, I haven’t analyzed it. These are the things that appear .
“I had 200 messages from my friends back then [Barcelona reports] come out I told them that I live in a world where there is a lot of gossip and that it is normal. From January I can sign with any club and it’s normal to be linked with many other clubs.
“There’s always news and I can’t control it.”
Matt Turner and Brenden Aaronson talk about preparing for the World Cup with games against Japan and Saudi Arabia.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)
– Arkadiusz Milik has been impressive while on loan at Juventus, who want to sign him permanently, Calciomercato say. The 28-year-old striker has scored three goals in three starts for Bianconeri since joining from Marseille last summer, and the deal includes an option allowing the Serie A club to sign him for €7m.
– Arsenal have been linked with Eintracht Frankfurt’s Jesper Lindström of the latter, but Sports1 It has been revealed that there is no release clause in his contract which expires in 2026. The 22-year-old attacking midfielder has been a key player for Frankfurt since a breakout season in the 2021-22 campaign, and looks set to be tracked by teams from across Europe his progress in January.
– Everton midfielder Allan is in talks with Al Wahda, writes Football Insider. The 31-year-old is yet to appear for Frank Lampard’s side this season, and with the transfer window set to open until October 4 in the UAE Pro League, they will be hoping to land Allan before the deadline closes. The Brazilian joined Everton from Napoli for £21m in 2020.
– AC Milan are tracking the Ligue 1 winger Jeremy Doku, Calciomercato announced. While the 20-year-old has been on the radar of the San Siro hierarchy for some time, they are waiting to see how he performs for Rennes this season. Doku contributed three goals as Belgium beat Belarus 8-0 in March, but has since found most of his appearances coming from the bench.
– After ESPN reported that Nice were interested Mauricio Pochettino to take the vacant manager’s job on Tuesday, The Daily Telegraph said that the Argentine coach is not keen on returning to the management of the Ligue 1 club. The former Tottenham Hotspur manager has been a free agent since leaving Paris Saint-Germain in July.
– Former Lille midfielder Xeka is set to sign with Rennes until 2024, report Nicolo Schira. Xeka has been a free agent since his contract with the Ligue 1 club expired in the summer, but looks set to stay in France’s top flight after agreeing terms with Les Rennais. Reports previously suggested the 27-year-old had been offered to Arsenal.