Anthony Joshua’s management team says it has accepted terms for a fight with Tyson Fury

Anthony Joshua has accepted terms for a proposed world heavyweight title fight with Tyson Fury, his management team has announced.

Fury, the WBC champion, made an offer to his British rival last week, saying he would accept a 60-40 split of the purse to seal the contest.

Joshua’s management team, 258, said on Tuesday they had accepted Fury’s offer on behalf of Joshua and his promoter, Matchroom, and were awaiting the champion’s response.

They wrote on social media in a message retweeted by Joshua: “258 and @MatchroomBoxing can confirm, on behalf of @anthonyjoshua, that we have accepted all the terms given to us by Fury’s team for a fight on December 3 on Friday.

“Due to the passing of the Queen, it has been agreed to cease all communication. We await a response.”

Fury has offered for a ‘Battle of Britain’ with Joshua after it emerged that rival champion Oleksandr Usyk will not fight again until early next year.

Anthony Joshua suffered his second straight loss to Oleksandr Usyk last month (Nick Potts/PA)

(PA Wire)

Joshua suffered his second straight defeat to the Ukrainian in Saudi Arabia last month, and plans to make a relatively low-key comeback.

Responding last week to Fury’s offer, Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn expressed caution, questioning whether Fury was “serious” about the fight.

While this certainly represents the most profitable option for Joshua at this stage of his career, it would also be a huge risk given the consensus that he needs to rebuild after his loss to Usyk.

And while the expected showdown will attract attention, it won’t be beneficial as Joshua’s status as a former champion has been diminished by now and, for now, a significant underdog.